Turmeric or Curcumin is a wonder herb, and it has many health benefits.It’s bright orange, bitter and powerful.
Turmeric is the vibrant ingredient that gives curry it’s memorable hue. If you’ve tried Indian cuisine, you’ve likely tasted it and loved it.
This predominant spice is used generously in nearly all Indian meals. Perhaps that’s why India has among the lowest rates of lung, colon, prostate & breast cancer,
Curcumin, the active agent in turmeric, as been used in Ayurveda, the Ancient form of Indian Medicine for thousands of years and Western Science is catching on. Turmeric has matched and outperformed many modern medicines.
This potent spice is packed with anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants. Turmeric has been proven to fight free radicals, rejuvenate the cells, cleanse the liver, protect the heart, boosts moods and support the brain.
Sound too good to be true? There’s more.Turmeric has been shown to lift levels of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin. With a stronger cocktail of these neurochemicals, we’re all a little happier.
Turmeric has ten neuroprotective actions that support better memory, focus, and cognition. This multifunctional spice is also used to regulate fat metabolism, alleviate IBS, regulate bile flow, reduce joint pain and bring luster to the skin.
Turmeric or Haldi as they call it in Hindi is revered for its spiritual significance. Often referred to as The Golden Spice or The Spice of Life, turmeric is a common accessory in wedding rituals and prayer ceremonies. Originally the spice was used in rites and rituals intended to promote fertility, prosperity, and spiritual purification.
Turmeric is incredibly purifying. As a sure source of anti-fungal, anti-microbial and anti-bacterial extracts, this spice can help you fight infections and boost immunity. Dense in vitamins and minerals this magical spice promotes overall well-being.
In this article, you shall read different aspects of turmeric.
Turmeric, The Healthiest Food
Turmeric is used for centuries in the kitchen and medicinal treatments.
It is a golden spice of the life. It has various health benefits. Widely used in different medicines for curing health problems.
Other names of turmeric are CURCUMA LONGA, CURCUMIN, and TUMERIC.
The botanical name of turmeric is CURCUMA LONGA L.
Composition Of Turmeric:
The important chemical component of turmeric is a group of compounds namely curcuminoids that includes methoxy curcumin, curcumin diferuloylmethane, and bisdemethoxycurcumin.
Along with these elements, it contains volatile oils like atlantone, turmerone, and zingiberene. Other components are proteins, sugars, and resins.
- Turmeric contains an essential oil.
- Dry rhizomes yield8 % of essential oil.
- Fresh one’s yield24 % oil which contains zingiberene.
- Alcohol and Ketone are also obtained by volatile distillation.
Famous Varieties Of Turmeric:
The famous varieties of turmeric are:
- Local Haldi
- Red streaked
- China scented
Nutritional Value Of Turmeric:
Almost everyone uses turmeric while cooking food. But, have you ever thought of its nutritional value? Below we shall read it
Nutritional value of 2 teaspoons of turmeric is:
- Iron: 88 milligrams
- Dietary fiber: 96 grams
- Vitamin B: 08 milligrams
- Manganese: 36 grams
- Potassium: 48 milligrams
How Is Turmeric Powder Prepared?
Turmeric powder is a bright yellow colored spice from the rhizome of CURCUMA LONGA plant. Turmeric powder has various traditional and commercial uses.
Dried turmeric rhizomes are useful in making turmeric powder. The integral component of turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin, an antioxidant is the most bioactive soothing part of the turmeric herb.
It is useful for cosmetic activities, coloring, flavoring and medicinal purposes. The bright yellow color is because of curcumin and other components present in turmeric.
It also helps in promoting the flow of bile from your liver. Bile helps in excretion of fat-soluble toxins from your body.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
There are a lot of benefits of turmeric.
Uses Of Turmeric In Ayurveda
- The main organs on which turmeric operates are heart, skin, lungs, and liver.
- It is widely used for bleeding disorders, epilepsy, to purify body-mind and skin diseases.
- It helps the lungs to expel Kapha.
ACTIVITIES OF TURMERIC:
- Food Poisoning
- Poor Circulation Diabetes
- Staph Infections
Other therapeutic uses of turmeric are:
- Turmeric helps in regulating women reproductive system and also in purifying breast milk and uterus.
- It helps in purifying and making of semen in men, which acts as counterintuitive for pungent bitter.
- It aids in reducing the effect of diarrhea, fever, insanity, urinary disorders, cough, poisoning, and lactation problems.
- Turmeric is also used to cure external ulcers.
- Another benefit of turmeric is that it decreases Kapha. Hence, removes the mucus from the throat, pus from eyes and wounds and moreover in watery discharges such as leucorrhea.
Ayurvedic Benefits Of Turmeric:
- Detoxify the liver
- Balance cholesterol levels
- Fight allergies
- Stimulate digestion
- Boost immunity
- Enhance the complexion
As turmeric is an antioxidant due to this property, Ayurveda recognizes turmeric as a warm spice, astringent and pungent taste and bitter.
Home Remedies To Cure Different Diseases Using Turmeric
Related: feedback for sulforaphane
- Turmeric is effective in curing asthma.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink it.
Ayurveda also helps in treating Asthma. There are some herbal remedies. You can give them a try.
- Another benefit of turmeric is it helps in anemia.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric juice and honey and consume it every day.
- Take this concoction once in a day.
- To cure burns mix one tablespoon of aloe gel and turmeric and apply it to the affected area.
- Take a turmeric paste and apply it to your skin before sleeping.
- Wait for few minutes and then wash it off.
- If you see next morning any yellow tinge remaining on your skin, then remove it with the help of oil and chickpea flour (Besan).
Conjunctivitis can cure through following remedies.
- Take a mixture of 1 tablespoon of crushed raw turmeric and 1/3 glass of water.
- Boil and sieve it.
- Apply 2-3 drops of the mixture in each eye for three times in a day.
- Take a mixture of the ½ tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of turmeric. Now add mustard oil to it and make a thick paste.
- Rub your teeth and gums using this paste.
- Repeat this twice in a day.
- Take ½ -1 tablespoon of turmeric for three times every day.
- To cure diarrhea takes ½ – 1 tablespoon of turmeric juice and powder with water.
- Use this remedy thrice daily.
- Make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of ginger, one tablespoon of turmeric and water and make a thick
- Spread it over a cloth and place it on the affected area and then bandage it.
- Take one glass of milk with one tablespoon of turmeric before sleeping.
Eyes, Ears, Mouth & Nose:
- Mix Turmeric dust and alum in the ratio of 1:20, when blows through the ears it cures chronic otorrhea.
- It aids in maintaining the integrity and shape of our eyes.
- Make a mixture of organic ghee and a pinch of turmeric. Now, apply it to your mucous lining of the nose to end the sniffles.
- It also assists in eliminating nose bleeds, cures sinus, purifies your mind and brain. Also, restores an acute sense of smell.
Turmeric For Intestine & Stomach:
Turmeric cures the complete Gastro-Intestinal system. It is helpful in treating-
- Poor digestion
- To help digest protein
- Weak Stomachs
- Normalizes metabolism
- It improves the bio-availability of your food. It enhances the ability of your stomach to withstand the digestive acids.
- Turmeric is an excellent carminative. It can provide a calming effect to an upset digestive system. It eliminates excessive gas and distention.
- Carminatives also increase absorption and nurture of the intestinal flora.
- Taking turmeric will help to balance your upset digestion. Mix 1 teaspoonful of turmeric in a cup of yogurt, consume it after taking lunch.
- It also helps in curing piles. Apply the mixture of turmeric, mustard oil, and onion juice.
- To eliminate rectal bleeding consume 2 – 3 tablespoons of turmeric in every ½ – 1 hour until bleeding stops.
Medicinal Uses Of Turmeric
Due to the various benefits of turmeric, its use as a medicine is rapidly increasing. The normal flowering plant from ginger family is now an excellent remedy to cure various diseases. Earlier it was used for food coloring and flavoring.
But, now it is widely used to cure health problems such as digestive disorders, liver problems, wound healing and skin diseases. It is also used as an anti-inflammatory agent in medicines. The vital part of turmeric, curcumin has various therapeutic effects.
- Turmeric acts as a carminative and digestive bitter.
- Its use in foods along with bean dishes and rice improves digestion and reduces bloating and gas.
- It stimulates the production of bile in your liver and also encourages its excretion through gallbladder. And, hence improves your body’s ability to digest fat.
- For digestive weakness and congestion, turmeric is excellent.
- It is helpful for curing liver diseases.
- In monsoon consumption of foods and herbs strengthens your liver.
- Turmeric has same liver protection components that artichoke leaves and milk thistle contain.
- It shrinks engorged hepatic ducts. Hence, can be helpful to cure liver conditions like cirrhosis, and hepatitis.
Ayurveda can also help you cleanse the liver. It can also help in dealing with liver diseases.
- Turmeric helps in preventing the growth of different types of cancer.
- It helps in curing skin cancer and pre-cancerous conditions.
- Both, internal and topical uses are effective.
- It also helps in stopping blockage of blood vessels. Intense blockage of blood vessels can lead to heart attack.
- It lowers the cholesterol levels of your body and inhibits the oxidation of bad cholesterol called LDL.
- Oxidized LDL accumulates on the walls of arteries and forms atherosclerotic plaque.
- It also prevents the building of platelets around the injured arteries. Platelets can lead to the formation of blood clots or the blockage of the blood
- It helps in reducing the effects of osteoarthritis.
- It can reduce disability and pain.
- Turmeric helps in reducing menstrual cramps. Use turmeric bitters or extract two times every day, before 15 days of the expected date.
- It is an antispasmodic and hence helps in smoothing of muscles and turn, reduces menstrual cramps and digestive problems.
BACTERIAL INFECTION AND WOUNDS:
- Turmeric is an antibiotic.
- It aids in reducing bacterial infection and better healing of your wounds.
- The important component of turmeric, curcumin is as effective as corticosteroids in Uveitis, the kind of eye disorder.
- Uveitis is the inflammation of uvea. The uvea is the middle layer of the eye.
OTHER HEALTH DISORDERS:
- It decreases inflammation and congestion from the stagnant mucous membrane.
- It is anti-inflammatory to mucous membrane that coats the lungs, throat, intestines, and stomach.
- Everyday use of turmeric can cure Crohn’s disease, Colitis, post giardia and diarrhea effects.
- The inflammation and itching due to anal fissures and hemorrhoids can be overcome by using turmeric.
- Skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, and acne are all curable by the use of turmeric.
Beauty Benefits Of Turmeric:
Also of medicinal and traditional benefits turmeric also has cosmetic uses. Now, lets read about the cosmetic uses of turmeric.
SKIN CARE AND COLORING:
Skin is the largest organ of your body.
The barrier function of skin protects you from microorganisms, UV radiations, and harmful chemicals.
- Turmeric is effective in healing skin disorders like acne and eczema.
- It also reduces the oil secretion from the sebaceous gland.
- Moreover, keep your skin younger by retarding the aging process.
- Turmeric works miraculously for both oily and dry skins.
- Women may apply turmeric paste on their face for the natural glowing skin.
- Turmeric is also used in creams for coloring purposes.
- Various herbal products use turmeric as their integral natural ingredient.
- Turmeric helps in retaining the glow of your skin and thus make you look beautiful forever.
- It helps in removing wrinkles from your face.
- It aids in reducing the stretch marks.
- Turmeric oil is also used in sunscreen creams and biopesticides due to its effectiveness.
- It also helps in purification of your blood.
- It reduces the skin pigmentation and removes dead cells from the skin.
- Turmeric is skin friendly and is an integral ingredient of various creams and lotions.
- It is also used to treat cracked heels.
- Combine one tsp of turmeric with 1tsp of chickpea flour; add a dash of tea tree oil and enough water to create a paste (about two tsp of water). Apply the paste to the entire face, keep it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it with warm water. Your skin will look radiant.
Turmeric For Hair:
- Turmeric is effective in treating dandruff problems of your hair.
- It is also used as dyes and hair colorants. It also stimulates the growth of your hair.
- It provides the necessary nutrition to your hair follicles and hence helps in growth of hairs.
- Curcumin, an integral component of turmeric, is widely used in natural dyes to provide yellow and deep orange color.
- Mix turmeric powder and olive oil, apply it on the hair. Leave for about half an hour and wash it. This will help to prevent dandruff from the hair.
- Turmeric, when mixed with honey and milk and applied on the hair, can reduce hair fall.
- Turmeric juice and paste are used in treating leprosy skin disease.
- It also effective in chickenpox and smallpox. Apply the turmeric paste on your skin to stimulate the processing of scabbing.
Why Should You Use Turmeric While Cooking
- The healthiest spice food is an essential ingredient of the curry powder.
- It is also used for flavoring and coloring of butter, margarine, cheese, liquor, pickles, fruit drinks, cakes, fruit dishes, mustard, table jellies, and another foodstuff.
- Turmeric oil is widely used for flavoring food items and perfumes.
- It adds mild aroma and yellow color to the food.
SOME COOKING TIPS:
- Turmeric is strong and gets stronger while cooking. So, it’s better to use it in a regulated manner.
- You can use one teaspoonful of turmeric in place of 1 teaspoonful of dry mustard.
How To Store & Use Turmeric Powder With Ease?
- You should keep turmeric powder in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Excessive heat volatilizes and dissipates turmeric’s aroma.
- High humidity will make a cake of turmeric powder.
- You should use the older stock of turmeric if any.
- Prolong exposure to air will lead to loss of aroma and flavor of turmeric.
USE OF TURMERIC IN RECIPES:
ADD IT TO FRITTATAS AND SCRAMBLES:
- You can take a pinch of turmeric and use it in scrambled eggs, tofu scramble, or in a frittata.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder into braized or sautéed greens like collards, kale, and cabbage.
- Turmeric’s peppery and warm flavor goes great with potatoes, root vegetables, and cauliflower.
- A pinch of turmeric powder brings a mild taste and color to a cup of plain rice or fancier pilaf.
- The taste of chicken or vegetable is enhanced when made with turmeric powder.
How To Prepare Turmeric Tea?
THINGS THAT YOU WILL NEED:
- One tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- One tablespoon of honey
- 1 cup of water
- One tablespoon of Turmeric either grated root or powder
- Take a saucepan and pour water and coconut milk in it.
- Boil it for 2 minutes.
- Now add butter, turmeric powder, and honey and again simmer it for 2 minutes.
- After that pour the tea into a cup and drink it.
How To Prepare Golden Milk
- Golden milk is an ancient health elixir: Combine 1/2 tsp of organic turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of organic ginger powder and a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom into one cup of hot almond/soy/rice or hemp milk.
- If you’re using a liquid with low-fat content, you can add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil or ghee (clarified butter) to guarantee maximum absorption. Drink this daily.
Combine turmeric with black pepper to amp up the effect.
- Cook with turmeric, black pepper, and ginger. These heating, metabolism charging spices have a synergistic effect that will increase the bioavailability by 1,000 times. Make sure to dissolve the spices in ghee or coconut oil while cooking.
Pour it into your smoothies.
- Dissolve a full teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of black pepper into hot coconut oil and pour it into your smoothie or juice.
Optimize Your Use of Turmeric
Doses Of Using Turmeric In Different Ways
1.Always buy certified organic.
2.Make sure your spices are free of chemicals, preservatives, fillers, and additives.
- Skip the pill.
- If you’re taking the capsule version at least take it with 1 cup of hot water. In the bowl of warm water, add one tsp of ghee or connect oil and a generous pinch of black pepper.
Curcumin/Turmeric Capsules, Not Nearly As Effective
The active agents in turmeric are fat-soluble, meaning you need fat in the carrier to absorb and assimilate the benefits efficiently. To make the most of your turmeric, you must take it with a source of fat.
The spice has stood the test of time as a form of medicine because it’s used in cooking and oil is almost always present in the recipe. The fat from the oil is the consort ingredient.
The vitamin and supplement industry is steadfast and ever growing. Well, it doesn’t always work that way. The bedrock of Ayurveda and Eastern Medicine is that we are more than the total of our parts.
Holistic medicine stands firm on a platform that demonstrates the interconnectedness of the mind, body, and soul.
Just as there is a delicate and intelligent interplay between the mind, body, and soul, there is a delicate and intelligent interplay between the brain, gut, and formation of tissues.
A capsule version of turmeric (aka curcumin) will get the spice into your body, but it won’t guarantee the digestion and absorption of the nutrients into your system.
According to Ayurveda, there are seven layers of tissues: plasma, blood, muscles, fat, bones, nervous tissue and reproductive tissue.
Each tissue is nourished in sequential order based on how well food is digested, absorbed and assimilated. If you want the benefits of turmeric to touch all your tissues, a capsule just won’t cut it. The body simply doesn’t integrate capsules as it would food.
Side Effects Of Using Excessive Turmeric
Turmeric doesn’t cause any severe side effects in your body. But depends on person to person how turmeric reacts to their body.
Sometimes it causes-
- Stomach Upset
Turmeric gives energy and purifies the chakras. Thus, include it to lead a healthy life.